Saturday, December 4, 2010

That Acceptable and Perfect Will of God

Ever have one of those weeks where you feel like you are a complete failure in your life as a Christian. You know, those weeks where you responded to just about every situation that was put in you path, in the wrong way. The kind of week where you were envious of just about everyone you saw that had something you didn't. The kind of week where the only thing you feel like doing is shutting your bedroom door off to the entire world, then crawl under the covers with a bag of Hershey's chocolate kisses and want to be completely rebellious and eat the entire bag. Well, its been one of those weeks for me. :(

It's amazing to me how the LORD uses these sort of weeks to teach us. I am also amazed at how patient and merciful our God is. That through all my failures and misgivings, the LORD still forgives and gives me and has given me another try. Let me share.

I started a new job this week. I am now teaching a K-3 class, two days a week, for about 4 hours each day. I am truly enjoying the job and working with children. But this has shown me how impatient I am, and also how I need to learn compassion.

Tuesday was my first day. I walked into the class believing I was ready for anything these children could dish out and respond in the perfect, and loving manner. Oh, how stupid I was! Until you have come face to face with a child that tells you "No, I will not listen to you", or "No I will not stop climbing on the table", "no I will not go to time-out", flat out in the face, and you can not use corporal punishment, you do not know anger. I have never felt so useless and out of control in my life. I came home that evening, layed my head on my mom's shoulder and cried, then I went out in full rebellion and ate almost a half a bag of Hershey's kisses. ;)

The LORD taught me on my first day that when working with children, you have to have the right balance of authority and playfulness. You need to let the child know you are in control, but yet do so in a loving and kind manner to help them learn in a compassionate and Christ-like environment. You also have to have the patience to tell them no 5 or 6 times without getting angry. So, thankfully Thursday was a much better day. The children responded to my authority fairly well. ( they still tested me some, but not quite as much ) And, I had fun working with them. :)

Yesterday was another teaching moment for me. Me, my brother, and my sister went to the mall to take care of some Christmas shopping. While there, I noticed that alot of the young women my age wearing the cutest blue jeans and boots together. This set me on a mission. To find those jeans and those boots so I can look like them. Someone just wave the red flag in front of my face!

There is something very wrong with this scene. Here I am wearing perfectly good looking clothes and some very cute boots of my own, and I was driving myself crazy to find what every one else was wearing! Thankfully the LORD showed me that I was being covetous, and not very thankful for what I had.

I say all of this to encourage you take moments such as I experienced this week, in your life to ask the LORD to show you where you need to grow, and also to help mold you in to the person HE would have you to be. HE did with me, and I am so thankful that even though these are some painful moments, they were learning and caring moments with my Saviour.

And be ye not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable, and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2

Have a great evening! Thanks for stopping by!

Angel

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry, Angel! Yes, I do know very well what it is like to come face to face with a child who flat-out says "No" and there is nothing you can do ... I worked in a daycare for 2 years, and there were many times I felt just like you described!

    I remember one time when I was in charge of a nap room all by myself -- the children were either 3 or 4, I don't remember for sure; but there were two kids who would NOT stay on their cots for ANYTHING. No matter what I did they would not stay, just laugh and yell and try to wake the other kids up. I called up to the office to ask for a teacher to help, and they couldn't spare anyone -- I was on my own. I have never prayed for help as hard as I did that afternoon! Finally one of the other teachers came back from lunch and got them to lay down, but I felt like I had fought an army by the time "nap" was over!

    We all have hard weeks from time to time, and it's encouraging to remember that God doesn't love us any less when we're struggling than He does when we're doing well. In fact, He's often closer in those times. He'll help you take care of those precious children.

    Keep on going! You're doing well! :-D

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)