Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Extra Special Surprise

Okay everyone. It's been almost three weeks since Christmas, and I have still not told you what one of my very special surprise gifts were. So I am here to show you just what it is. Can I get a drum roll please.... my very own true blue Hope Chest!


Yes! I finally have my very own chest to put away all the lovely things I am buying and making for my future, as the LORD allows, as a homemaker. :D


For the past several years I have been collecting things and putting them away in my own version of a chest, a plastic box, never thinking that I would truly have a cedar chest of my own. ;)


Somehow the subject of me wanting a Hope Chest got brought up last Christmas when my grandaddy was down here. Well, I guess he was listening more than I thought. ;)


So he shows up Christmas Eve as planned, with the biggest, and most special, and precious surprise of my life. This absolutely wonderful, gorgeous, Hope Chest, that he had made with his very own hands. To say the least, I was speechless. I've never received a better gift. It's one that I will cherish for years and years to come, and one that I hope will become a family heirloom. :D



What I love in particular about this chest is how personal it is. My grandaddy put a bench on the lid, and chose the most perfect material for my interests and personality.

See the girl feeding the chickens...


Look! They're fishing here...



And of course being a hopeful romantic, I love this scene...



So, let me show you a few things that I already have in my chest.

Some books I have are about sewing, a dessert cookbook from my cousin, and a collection of recipes I have been collecting and personalizing for the past few years.



Here's a bathroom set my daddy gave me for Christmas this year. See all the pretty dolphins...




Here's a dish set I bought about two years ago at an Antique shop nearby. I only paid 13 bucks for 4 plates, 8 saucers, and 4 tea cups!






That's all I have to stow away for now. Some things I would like to make, to put away are some cloth napkins, a tablecloth, and maybe even a quilt. I would like to even purchase some more glassware at the local antique shops and yard sales. I'm all the time finding great bargains at places like that. :)

I'm just so thrilled at my Hope Chest. It's so beautiful, and personal, I know that I will always Cherish it. :)

I've got one other surprise I received for Christmas to show, but first I need to go find something to eat. I've been up for 4 hours now, and have had nothing but a glass of water. :

(
But, I pray that you have a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

1 comment:

  1. Angel, it's so beautiful!!! What a lovely present from your grandpa! You must be thrilled!

    I love the things you've gathered so far, too -- all I have are a few afghans I've made and a few mugs. :-P I've been thinking lately of things I will need when/if I get married, like dishes, appliances, furniture, copies of my favorite movies ... of course I can't start gathering all that, but I think it's good to have at least a mental list. And you're way beyond that. ;-)

    I especially like your teacups and the dolphin set! So pretty!

    Have a wonderful evening, my friend!

    Love in Christ,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)