Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Journey to Femininity: What Is It?


Femininity. Feminine. These words have been crossing my path quite a bit lately. From talking with my family, to surfing the blogs, my devotional time, this word has been put at the fore front of my thoughts. The only reason I can think of this topic being brought to my mind so regularly of late, is that the LORD is trying to show me something in my life. Something that I believe HE wants me to change.

As I said before, when a topic comes up that I want to know more, I generally pray about it, then I do research. Since the topic of femininity has been brought to my mind, I have been doing just that. The first thing I wanted to know was the exact definition of being feminine according to the dictionary. (and I am primarily referring to the character trait of femininity, not the outward dress here, while both do go together) Here it is according to Wikipedia- 1.Of the female sex; biologically female, not male, womanly.
2.Belonging to females; appropriated to, or used by, females.
3.Having the qualities associated with a woman or the female gender; suitable to, or characteristic of, a woman; nurturing; not masculine or aggressive.

So what I can gather from a secular dictionary, is that being feminine means not being masculine. Being feminine means being the complete and total opposite of masculine. That's seems pretty obvious. Being feminine means being like a woman, and masculine means being like a man.

But look at the third variation of the definition it says characteristic of, a woman; nurturing; not masculine or aggressive. Did any of you catch that last bit? This definition said that being feminine means being or having the characteristics associated with a woman, in particular being nurturing and not aggressive. So, I went and studied this particular definition even further.

Being feminine, according to the dictionary, means being nurturing, and kind. The definition of being nurturing is to feed and protect: to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development. Not aggressive (not masculine) means to be passive, friendly, and submissive. Not bad I say. :)

My next stop on my journey was in GOD's holy word, the Bible. The best places to find out what GOD's standards are for being feminine, are found in Proverbs 31, 1 Peter 3, and any story of a woman that was recorded in the Bible with outstanding character. My study has been a bit more focused on Peter's account of a truly feminine woman. Let me show you-

1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

According to this passage, a truly feminine woman is focused first on her Lord, then to her husband or family. A feminine woman willingly submits herself to male authority, for that is what GOD commands of her. A feminine woman is chaste, and behaves herself in a respectable manner. A feminine woman does not focus solely on her looks, but upon the inward appearance of her heart, and how it fits in accordance with GOD's word.

To me, both the secular, and Biblical definitions go hand in hand. They both state that for a woman to be considered feminine, she is to be submissive, caring, loving, and focused upon others, with herself placed last. What admirable traits these are, because no matter how "girly" you dress, you CAN NOT be considered feminine unless these qualities outshine your apparel.

Reading these accounts have been a huge eye opener in my life. It makes me even more thankful to be born a woman, and to be blessed to be able to practice, and learn these traits, that the LORD has given us (women). :D

It also makes me realize that I am not where I need to be in certain areas of my Christian life. But praise the LORD! HIS mercy and truth endure forever! And I know that he is mercifully guiding my steps, to be more and more like HIM. And it is only by HIS grace that I am able to do just that. :D

That is all I will be delving into for today. Next time (either Saturday or Sunday) I will be talking about how the LORD is working in my heart, in this area. I hope you will join me for that. :)

In the meantime, what are your thoughts on femininity? What do you think makes a woman more or less feminine? I would love to hear your input. Or, if you have a problem with anything I wrote, let me know, and I would love to hear what you have to say. :)

Have a wonderful day! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angel! Nice post! I agree with most of what you said although I've seen the "submission to husband" command taken to unhealthy extremes. I think as women, yes, the husbands should be over us in authority and leading us spiritually and with maturity, but I have witnessed men totally abusing this role and forcing their wives to submit to ridiculous and legalistic commands without breathing room.

    So all this to say, our culture's definitions of how a woman should act and work have dramatically evolved over the years, but there is a legitimate truth to her having her own mind and standing up for herself. Ultimately, God is the one we should be looking up too as human spouses will always have some sinful qualities.

    Ha, sorry! I'm a bit brain-dead from math class so my thoughts aren't coherent. I just wanted to point out that the submission thing can be taken to a terrible extreme, where women are just docile mothers who stay at home and have no life, to put it bluntly. :P

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comment Mary-Anna! I love to hear others views on my thoughts. :) I appreciate you bringing up this subject. I would like to possibly write a post on it within the near future adressing this issue from a Biblical stand point. I hope you'll tune in for it. :)
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)