Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Am Shy...



Okay, so, yeah, where do I begin here? I have this post and thoughts swirling around in my head, that the LORD has been impressing on me lately. And I have no idea where to begin. So I guess I will go straight to the issue at hand. Here it goes... I am shy. Whew, I'm glad I got that one off my chest! (sorry, I just had to throw a bit of Dory humor in there)

Let me tell you why I am writing about this struggle. My goal in talking about my shyness, is to truly give honor and glory to the LORD. I want to share with you what HE has been teaching me. My prayer is that it will be an encouragement in you life, to seek HIM in every area of your life, even in area such as this.

So yes my dear friends, I am somewhat socially challenged. I sometimes refer to it as the "thorn in my flesh". I have the HARDEST time going up to people and talking with them face to face. I struggle just to say a polite and friendly hello at times!

When I do talk with people, I am afraid of showing my true character. That leads me to end up just sitting there smiling.

All by myself...

Aside from it truly being a character trait in my family, I have come to realize that my shyness is deeply rooted in fear. That horrible fear of man, and his opinion. That terrible fear of rejection.

Rejection is a horrible feeling folks. Believe me, I know the searing pain it inflicts, all too well.

With my experiencing it so often, I have unfortunately built around my self a shell. A shell that hides my true feelings, and strives to protect my wounded heart, from experiencing any more pain.

How wrong this attitude is! There is a verse the LORD had been showing me of late, that has shown me how wrong it is to fear man and his opinion...
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Wow! What an amazing verse! We see here in Paul's writings to Timothy, that GOD has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

GOD did not create us as scared little rabbits hiding in our burrows, from a possible danger! HE created us to be brave individuals, for the honor and glory of HIS kingdom!

There is something else I have come to realize as well. GOD did not create man to be alone.

While HE did create us to have fellowship with HIM, and I firmly believe that our relationship with HIM is to be first and foremost, HE does not desire for us to be alone and friendless. That is why GOD created Eve for Adam. GOD created us to naturally desire to be with other people. ( Genesis 2:18-20)

There is only way for a person to truly get to know another person, and experience that wonderful gift of friendship. And that is to take the first step, and talk with the other person.

Being shy, that is VERY difficult to do. But guess what?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

So that makes me realize something else. When I do "break out my shell" there will be some who do not like me. I will experience rejection. But as I said, the LORD commands that I am not to worry about that.

I am to live my life, that HE has wonderfully and fearfully made to HIS honor and glory. I am not to fear what man can do to me.

It will not be easy. My shyness will continue to be a daily battle and struggle.

But my GOD is more than capable of helping me overcome this. And in the end, as long as I am living my life to the fullest for my King, it will all be worth it. :D

5Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

6For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I Corintians 12:5-10


If you have an issue with something I said here, let me know. I love to hear your opinions on these matters. :D

Have a wonderfully blessed day! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

1 comment:

  1. God will most certainly help you overcome your shyness....I am proof of that! As a teen and young adult I was so terribly shy, but you'd never know that now, lol (I'm sure you've heard how much I talk when I get together with your mom sometimes, lol). So let me encourage you, over time God will gradually help you grow in this area. Just remember His promises you find in His Word. Also remember....one day, you too could talk as much as I do now, lol!

    Blestmom (aka Donna Brown)

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)