Monday, May 2, 2011

Commitment Like Ruth



Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? A book that you just love to read over and over? A book that each and every time you go back to it, you gain encouragement, and you just feel the LORD speak to you through its words? I don't know about you but I happen to have 3, and one of those three is the book of Ruth in the Old Testament.

It's a book where you can clearly see the hand of GOD working in the lives of plain ordinary people. It's a book with a heroine of sorts, that women should take note of. It also has a beautiful love story that was clearly written and orchestrated by the hand of GOD.

I recently watched a movie that my mom borrowed from the library on this book, and loved it. Following that I went and reread it as well. So, you can imagine my great delight to find out that our pastor last night started a study of the book! :D

What a huge blessing the message was last night. Our pastor basically started this study by breaking down the first chapter, and pointed out some of the major events in that time frame, and made some great applications. But there was one in particular that the LORD spoke to my heart about.

The part that really stuck out with me was what occurs after Orpah and Ruth's husbands die. Naomi has made the descion to leave the country of Moab that she has been living in, and return to her home country of Judah. Let me share from the scriptures what follows...

7Wherefore she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters in law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah.

8And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.

9The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept.

10And they said unto her, Surely we will return with thee unto thy people.

11And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?

12Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;

13Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD is gone out against me.

14And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

15And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.


Upon Naomi's decision to return to Judah, she tells her two daughters in law, who obviously have a very close bond with her, to return to their people, and even their pagan gods.

But Ruth and Orpah react in quite and emotional way, weeping, and saying no, we will go with you. But Naomi says no. I can give you no husbands out of my womb, return to your people.

Then you see each of their reactions to the response. Orpah kisses her mother in law, and departs. But Ruth cleaves to Naomi. Her bond and love for her mother in law is so strong that she will not depart. In fact we see her stand all the more firm when she makes one of the most beautiful commitments and oaths ever spoken.

16And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.


Ruth had such a commitment to Naomi! She was willing to forsake all that was familiar to her to be with her mother in law. What an awesome example her act was.

How often do we show such commitment in our lives? Whether it be in family circles or marriage? Better yet. What struck me the most about what the pastor said was, what about our commitment to our LORD and Saviour? Ouch. That question hit home pretty hard for me last night.

Too often in our lives, and mine as well, we do as Orpah did and "kiss" GOD out of emotion. But we don't follow it through with commitment.

I'm talking about true commitment. The kind that Ruth gave Naomi. To go wherever HE wants us, and do whatever HE wants of us. Putting behind us all that is dear and familiar to us, putting away our desires, and completely giving them over to our LORD.

How difficult that is to do at times. To really let go of what we want is a HUGE step of faith. But a wonderful feeling it is to know that when we do follow through with a full commitment to GOD in ALL areas of our life, we know that HE will mercifully be there to help us and guide us along the way. :)

I want to be like Ruth. To give my full commitment to my Lord and Saviour, and let HIM lead my life. I want to follow HIM wherever HE leads me, and do as HE wants. It won't be easy. My controlling, stubborn nature wants to do everything my self, and sometimes my own way. ;) But, I know it will all be worth it. :)

Have a wonderful day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

Side Note: Here is the link to IMDB's info on the movie I watched. The full title of the movie is called "The Book of Ruth". It is an excellent movie and I highly recommend everyone watching it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)