Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Never Approach Sewing Lackadaisically"...



So, I have been doing quite a bit of reading lately. One of the books that I have been reading is a 1949 edition of a Singer sewing book that was purchased at a library book sale back in early spring. This book has been a HUGE help in my sewing projects, with me not being the most sew savvy gal in the world. ;)

It gives so many tips and advice on shortcuts and such, that I can say I have become a bit more confident in my sewing. But what I love the most about this book, is how at the beginning it shares advice on how to prepare yourself mentally, physically, and materially for sewing.

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised at some of the advice that was offered regarding to preparing yourself for sewing. Let me share with you, so you can understand exactly what I mean... ;)

Mentally- "Think about what you are going to do. Practice the seams that will be needed in your pattern until you can complete them with total confidence. Approach the job with enthusiasm. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew when the sink is full of dishes or beds are unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so that you mind is free to enjoy your sewing."

Physically- "When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Go through a beauty ritual of orderliness. Have on a clean dress. Be sure your hands are clean, fingernails are smooth- a nail file and pumice will help. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick on with care. Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing, because if you are making something for yourself, you will try it on at intervals in front of a mirror, and you can hope for better results when you look your best. Again, sewing must be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it, and if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in, or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should. Therefore "spruce up" at the beginning so that you are free to enjoy every part of any sewing you do."

Materially- "Assemble all the essentials you are going to need before you begin. Have close all tools necessary for your project close by. Have them ready for use, so that you will not have to jump to get this or that, because such distractions affect your efficiency. If you are to get good results from sewing, remember that you must do it pridefully and skillfully. An uncoordinated sewing experience is not conducive either to enjoyment or best results."

Planning Your Sewing Time- "Make an appointment with yourself to sew, just as you would with your hairdresser, or with a neighbor to go shopping. On the days you are sewing, make the dessert in the morning; plan a quick-to-get dinner so that your afternoon can be given to the full enjoyment of sewing. Plan what you are to sew ahead of time. Keep a notebook and jot down what findings or trimmings you need for each thing. Study each detail of your pattern, and make a practice sample if necessary. Save basting or handwork on your project, to do when a friend drops by, or when you want to listen to your favorite radio program. Much happiness and benefit can be had from sewing if you plan what you will do; if you buy carefully; if you choose patterns for smartness and appropriateness and if you cut and sew in a planned, well organized fashion."

Wow! What awseome advice!

This book was written in 1949, and the first thing that came to my mind was differnece in tips it gives seamstresses. I mean, what book today would tell a lady to make sure she looks nice before sewing, for when her husband gets home, having your house clean, or to have dinner prepared and ready ahead of time?

While these tips may sound a bit odd to most women in today's society, they're not that off the wall sounding to me. I loved reading this! It made me long for that lost era when housework was regarded as honorable for women, and looking like a lady, even when doing that housework, was not looked upon oddly. A time when women did all they could to see to their families needs, and put themselves and their desires last. A time when women lived out the way they are commanded to live in the Bible. (Titus 2)

Maybe I'm just odd. But that's how I feel. How about you?

Well, I better get off of here for now. I've got a few more things to take care before church this evening. :D

Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

2 comments:

  1. Aw that was awesome! LOVED it. Thanks for sharing!!

    Blessings,
    Mary
    http://lundkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was absolutely beautiful! I sent it to my mom, too, because she really enjoys vintage homemaking materials, too; and she loved it! :-D

    Thank you so much for praying for me - you're very sweet!! I know your prayers have helped everything go well so far! What can I pray about for you? I don't know much of what you're up to this summer. :-(

    Have a wonderful evening! :-)

    Love in Christ,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)