Wednesday, September 21, 2011

For YOU Alone

Okay. So I'm going to fess up. I've been having a bit of a pity party lately. Crying and feeling sorry for myself, no one but myself invited, yeah, the whole nine yards. You wanna know why? I have been feeling that what I am doing in my life,as far as work and service in the church does not really make a difference.

I mean, how can washing eggs, changing flowers at church, cleaning up after a meal, or sitting with kids in the nursery really mean anything? I mean, most of those things don't really get seen has been my thought.

Hold it right there! Huge red flag going up! Why in the world should not getting recognition bother me? You know the LORD has really been convicting me of this lately. To really examine what I am doing, and WHY I am doing it.

My prayer everyday for the past two weeks has been, "LORD, please help me to remember to keep all things I do, for YOU and YOU alone".

It has not been easy. My flesh so gets in my way some days, I want to scream! I am a very selfish person, and my motives behind my service most of the time is wrong. Pleasing myself and bringing glory to me is my thought alot of the time.

It's so wrong, because it's not giving honor where it's due. The ONLY reason I am alive today is because of GOD and HIS mercy. It's only because of HIM I am able to get out of bed in the morning, walk across the floor and get ready to wash eggs, cook meals, take care of children, clear a dirty table, or anything else I am called to do that day! It's not anything that I have done, but what HE has done.

What HE has done in creating this earth. What HE has done in sending HIS son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. What HE has done in resurrecting HIS son, so that we by believing in HIM, might have eternal life.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the LORD, and not unto men; Knowing that of the LORD ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the LORD Christ. Colossians 3:23-24

I heard a song on the radio this week, that really hit what I have been thinking right on the nail. It's by Steven Curtis Chapman, and it's called "Do Everything". (I'm just posting the lyrics. If you would like to hear the songs click here)

You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you

Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

OOoh ooooh oooooh

Maybe you’re that guy with the suit and tie
Maybe your shirt says your name
You may be hooking up mergers, cooking up burgers
But at the end of the day

Little stuff big stuff in between stuff
God sees it all the same
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
We’ll let me remind you it all matters just as long as you do

Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you
To do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do

Well maybe you’re sitting in math class
Maybe on a mission in the Congo
Maybe you’re working at the office
Singing along with the radio
Maybe you’re dining at a five star
Or feeding orphans in Myanmar
Anywhere and everywhere you are
Whatever you do it all matters
So do what you do and don’t ever forget
to do

Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace as you do
Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do

Ooh oooooh
Every little thing you do


My journey toward pure motives is not over with my confession. It will continue. But I live in the knowledge that the GOD of the universe is by my side, guiding my steps back, and ever so gently reminding me to do it ALL for HIM.

Why the LORD puts up with me, I will never know. Why HE loves al of us poor human beings, I could never comprehend. Why HE helps us is beyond all human knowledge. But I know that I am thankful for it.

Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how quickly we slip into pity party mode? Even us who have committed ourselves to living for Christ. I understand how you feel and wow it is difficult to remember. I often feel like my job has no purpose in God's kingdom, and I struggle to work as if I am working for the Lord.
    When I was a teen I used to volunteer at a christian summer camp. My job was to serve food and wash the pots and pans. I always had the attitude of "someone has to do what I'm doing, so that others are free to teach them about Jesus while they are here".
    Thank you for the words of wisdom.
    In Christ,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, everything we do for God's glory does matter to him, even the little things. Of course, you KNOW you would get immediate recognition if you "Do the Monkey" like the Wiggles, lol!

    Catlover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Angel. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going and doing what you're doing, Angel - you're doing a great job! You work very hard and faithfully, and it's natural to feel discouraged after a while. But you're absolutely right - everything you do is for the Lord, and He sees and remembers everything you do for Him:

    Hebrews 6:10 - For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

    God bless you, my friend!
    ~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)