Monday, October 17, 2011

Daily Lessons

Our church has recently started a new Sunday school class. The focus of this new division is on singles and young couples. Our Pastor is heading it up, and what a blessing it has been to me thus far. I really enjoy learning from GOD's word, in the close company of those around my age. But what I wholeheartedly love, is the way that our Pastor teaches, and the way he presents the lesson.

He has started out with the book of James, and has been going verse by verse, expounding on what is taught in those verses. Well, this past Sunday's lesson was a great reminder for me. The verses that were gone over were James 1:18-21. Let me share those with you...

18Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

19Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

20For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.


We spent quite a bit of time going over verse 19. I really needed this. To be reminded to be quick to hear.

Sometimes, I forget to listen to others. I get so caught up in what I am thinking and feeling, that I don't take the time to hear what another is saying. Not only do I get distracted in daily relationships, I unfortunately also tend to forget to slow down, and hear what GOD is saying. Whether it be in my devotions, or simple daily tasks, I don't always think to listen to what GOD is teaching me in daily life. Being quick to hear is something I've defiantly got to practice.

For those of you that know me, you may think that I have no problem with the next part: being slow to speak. Believe it or not, I do struggle with this. Especially when I'm at home. My mouth pretty much blurts out what it is thinking, and before I know it I've said something I regret. The pastor gave some question that we had ought to ask ourselves before speaking. If you struggle with this a bit too, I hope these can help you in this battle.

Before you speak, ask...
1. Is it kind?
2. Is it true?
3. Is it necessary?

Then comes the biggie: slow to anger. Wow. This hits home for me. I'm very sorry to say, I get angered pretty easily. It's a struggle that hits daily. How wrong it is though. GOD cannot work in the heart of an angry person. An angry person is resentful and wants things done their way typically. Only when we have a soft tender heart, can GOD truly help you grow in HIM. I pray that is not an issue with you too. But if it is, let's both ask the LORD for forgiveness, and a heart ready to change. :)

My prayer is that the LORD will continue to work in my heart, and to slowly mold me into the person HE wants me to be. Through the teaching of my pastor, others, and the daily reading of HIS word, HE is doing just that. How great our GOD is and ever to be praised! :D

GOD is so good, all the time!

Have a wonderfully blessed day! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing this Angel. It is a lesson so easily forgotten. I have found that my biggest issue is my "silent" anger. I often feel that if I am not throwing my anger at someone, as in, I am holding it inside, then it is ok. Your words about a tender heart have reminded me that I need to be ridding myself of that anger as well in order to have a heart tender for the Lord. Thank you for the reminder, and this is something I will definitely be praying about.
    In Christ

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)