Monday, November 7, 2011

Dutch Potato Soup

Like I said on Friday, I was in charge of supper this past Saturday. I decided to make one of my favorite soups. It's called "Dutch Potato Soup". I found it in a Mennonite cookbook of my mom's, and I love it! It takes a good deal of prep work, but the ingredients are quite simple. It has defiantly become a favorite in our family, especially on cool, crisp days. Here's the recipe, for any of you that may want to give it a try yourself. :D


~ 4 cups diced potatoes
~ 3 cups water
~ 1 1/2 tsp. salt
~ 1/2 tsp. thyme
~ 1/4 tsp. pepper
~ 6 sluices bacon
~ 1 medium onion
~ 2 Tbsp. flour
~ 1 cup milk

*Bring potatoes, water, salt, thyme and pepper to a boil.



*Simmer till potatoes are soft.



*Drain reserving broth.



*Mash half of the potatoes.



*Fry bacon; remove.



*Pour off all but two tbsp. of drippings. ( I place my onions and drippings in the same pot that I am making the soup in. It makes things easier) Cook onion in drippings until tender.



*Stir in flour.



*Gradually stir in reserved broth.



*Stir in mashed potatoes.



*Add bacon and cubed potatoes.





*Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.



*Add milk.



Enjoy!






What a blessing it was to make this meal for my family. It gave my mom an afternoon to do what she wanted, and it gave me time to improve on my skills in the kitchen. :D

She riseth while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, an a portion to her maidens. Proverbs 31:15




Have a wonderfully blessed day! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

*This post had been linked to "Raising Homemakers"

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I remember this from the tea party.....that potato soup tastes great! I think I will make it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but this is a differnet potato soup. The one from the tea party is made with leeks, chicken broth, and no meat. But the tastes are similar. If you want that recipe I can get it for you. :D
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please post the recipe for that soup too, it all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! We love potato soup in my family! We might have that for dinner, thanks for this idea!!! ~Jordan

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)