Monday, February 27, 2012

Just Another Day in Paradise

Have I ever told you how much I love being a stay at home daughter? Well let me tell you, I LOVE it to death! I love how the LORD has blessed me with a special time to serve my family, preparing for the day I will hopefully have a home of my own, as well as spending extra time serving those in my community.

One of the ways I help those in my community is working on my neighbor's organic farm, whenever she needs a helping hand. I wash eggs, plant and garden vegetables, help with the packaging of broilers, clean chicken coops, and whatever else comes up. It's hard, but a pleasant, satisfying sort of work. Just being outdoors is the best part. :)

So let's take a peek at what I do! :D

It all starts with a short walk down the road.





Let's check on some of last weeks work. We put some kale plants in the ground, that were started sometime in January.



Here's two beds we put together. They are full of red lettuce, and even more kale. All should be ready for sale at the farmer's market come the end of March. :D



We have recently been starting broccoli plants. About 800 in all. They are currently being kept in this homemade greenhouse, until our larger green house is set up.



More potted broccoli, and some lettuce on our "planting table"...



One of the prettiest sights, the new plants springing forth.



Now it's off down the road to gather today's eggs. Here's my buddy, Steve! Ain't he the cutest! He loves to ride on the Kubota RTV when we get eggs.



Together there are about 200 chickens. All Red Stars.



They are kept in a large fenced in field, with the coop in the middle. The coop is regularly moved so the chickens will wander and free range more.



Most of the time, the chickens will gladly let you get the eggs out from under them.



Then there are other days when one is down right determined to hatch the eggs, and the only way you are going to get them is to forcibly remove her. ;)



One five gallon bucket a day is average. That sounds like a lot, but back in the fall, we were getting two. '_'



Of course I wash and package the eggs for sale. I try to wash them two days a week. I will usually wash about 150 dozen in those two days. All by hand... :)

I have learned so much about farming while working here. I've also learned what it truly means to work hard. Having this job has been such a blessing in the fact I can pretty much set my own schedule. Which is great for days when I may be needed at home more. (or when I'm sick like today...) Thank you LORD for blessing me with this wonderful time of learning, and service on this farm. :)



Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

This blog has been linked to Homestead Revival's Rural Monday Blog Hop and Rural Journal's Rural Thursday.

Photobucket


9 comments:

  1. Hey Angel, I loved this post! It was fun to "follow" you through your day and see what kinds of things you do for your neighbor - I can see that it looks difficult (especially to a city slicker like me!), but I can also see how you would feel satisfied with your work at the end of the day. And you're very fortunate that things are starting to grow in your part of the world!! We just had snow again the other day! :-P

    Thank you so much for all your beautiful pictures! I hope you're feeling better soon!!

    Hugs!!
    ~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your day! What a blessing to be able to stay at home and be a blessing to your family and your neighbors too! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of eggs! Love taking the tour. Thanks for linking with Rural Thursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a productive day -- love your dog and the hens you visit!

    Thanks so much for sharing with Rural Thursday, Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angel, I am new to your blog and I have really enjoyed my visit with you...You are a busy lady...
    I loved walking behind you and seeing all that you do in a day.....love your dog...he is a cutie...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice post showing us all the work you do helping out your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the "mobile" chicken coop! Although I'm aware of free-range chickens, it's good to see such an operation in action. Your neighbor has an impressive farm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you do is great, Angel! Loved your step-by-step photo day!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)