Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Why Complain?

In my "Read HIS Word Through in 2012" schedule, I read through Exodus 13-16 yesterday. The last of the 10 plagues had befallen Egypt, and Pharaoh had finally let the Israelites go. They had come to the Red Sea, only to look behind and see Pharaoh had changed his mind. GOD told Moses to stretch his hands over the waters, and the sea will be parted. And just as Moses obeyed, the seas parted, and the Israelites crossed the sea in complete and total safety.

Rightly so, they beagn to sing songs of praises to GOD for HIS mercy in allowing them to cross the Red Sea...

1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

2 The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:1-2


Then not more than 3 verses later, when the children of Israel came to Marah, and found bitter water, well look here what they did...

21 And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

22 So Moses brought Israel from the Red sea, and they went out into the wilderness of Shur; and they went three days in the wilderness, and found no water.

23 And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah.

24 And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? Exodus 15:21-24


Hadn't these people just witnessed GOD's awesome power? They had seen the plagues befall Egypt, and GOD's protection during them. They just saw the entire Red Sea, part and make a path large enough for them all to cross in safety, and then watch it fall upon the Egyptians that were pursuing after them! And here they were complaining about some bitter water, not trusting in the LORD to bring them exactly what they needed.

You can look at this, and say "shame on them for not trusting in the LORD". But you know what, just about every single one of us have done the same exact thing, at least one time in our lives...

I was convicted of it yesterday. I was feeling sorry for myself about something. You know, the whole poor me, I am not going to be thankful attitude. Yes, the whole nine yards. But after reading that passage, I instantly became convicted about my attitude.

I was so very wrong in my thoughts. GOD has done so much for me! HE died on the cross for my sins, and saved me from the awful punishment of death and hell. HE has given me a family, friends, food, shelter, HE's met all my needs! Why should I have been complaining? There really wasn't a reason.

But it is human nature to complain when things aren't going just the way we want them to. But it's a nature we have to change.

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24


Slowly but surely, HE is working on us. Helping us to become the person HE would have us be. I truly don't know why HE puts up with me most days, but I am so thankful HE does. :D

Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)