Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY Alteration

I found this wonderful DIY dress alteration on Pinterest awhile back, and knew that I had to try it. (here is the tutorial if you want to give it a go yourself...) All you need is a long, sort of out of date dress, thread, pins, sewing machine, and the ability to follow directions. And voila! You should have a really cute 40's style dress. :D

So, let me share my experience with this tutorial...

Original dress. Obviously not flattering, but that really does not matter here...



Cutting the top section...



Cutting the bottom section...



I now have three sections. The middle is just tossed to the side...



The top with the skirt...



Sewing a line on the longest stitch setting to bunch later...



Stepping outside to vent the frustration in my pulling the thread too hard when bunching, causing it to tear. Meaning: I had to pull the rest of the thread out, and start again...



Frustrations gone, the skirt is bunched and now pinned to the top portion of the dress...



After a bit of ironing out the seams, here is the final product...



Okay, enough with the joking around. Here is the final product with a bit of accessorizing...



It's a tad shorter than I wanted it to be. That's due to me not measuring it out exactly and guessing on seam allowances. I'll know better next time. :D



Overall, I am quite pleased with how this dress turned out. I learned quite a bit from it, and can not wait until I can find another dress and give it another go round. :D

And you want to know one of the best part about this dress. The price. Excluding time and effort, I payed only four dollars at the thrift store. Woot-woot! :D

Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

5 comments:

  1. That is a very neat idea. I have some dresses that could use a little alteration. Beautiful as always! Thanks for sharing! ~Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a terrific job on the dress. I love it. It looks very pretty on you. I'll have to alternate some of my dresses now. :) Have a blessed day. Dorinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely. You did a wonderful job and the green belt is cute.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)